||CPMC was organized in 2010, and had a very busy first four years with many accomplishments. If you paid your 2013 dues before our September 23rd meeting, you need to pay your $20.00 dues for 2014. Its easy to renew and pay by PayPal (although the Club will receive your entire payment if you pay in cash at a club event, or send a check to our PO Box). Click here to pay 2014 dues using PayPal, or for more information about how to become a continuing or new member of CPMC. If you've already paid your dues for 2014, thanks!
Mushroom Events in 2014
Usually the club meets on the third Saturday or Sunday of the month, but there are exceptions to this schedule. .
- February 22th 2014 Wine tasting and talk at Happy Valley Winery (GPS: 40.767542,-77.897973) 7-9 pm. There is an additional cost of $20 per person. This will be a mostly social event (although we will likely have a short mushroom talk or program.) We will be sampling wines with light food pairings.
From State College, take West College Ave. (highway 26). Turn right on Science Park Road. Turn left onto Pine Hall Road, and proceed to the first stop sign. Turn left onto Foxpointe Drive (takes you through the sub divison). Foxpointe Drive extension ends at the entrance to the vineyard with the gravel Winery Lane to the right. Just follow the gravel road back to the well-lit building.
GPS users: Use 100 Prairie Rose Lane, State College Pa 16801. But instead of turning onto Prairie Rose Ln. continue straight on the extension of Foxpointe Drive which will dead end into the gravel Winery Lane. Just follow the gravel road back to the well-lit building.
To pay at the door, please send a short e-mail to Karen Croyle, email@example.com no later than Sunday, February 16 to register for this event.
To pay online, please use the PayPal button below. If you haven't paid your 2014 membership dues, there is an option for that too. You can change the quantity in your shopping cart for additional members of your family prior to checking out.
- Saturday, March 22. Shitake log inoculation workshop. Free for paid members - one log per
member. Karen Croyle will also be giving a talk about growing Oyster mushrooms on a variety
of substrates. This event will start at 1 pm. at the Ferguson Township Lions Club Hall in Pine
- Saturday, April 19. Morel hunt at Bald Eagle State Park 1 pm.
- Saturday, May 17 Spring potluck at Cooks Forest State Park 1 pm.
- Saturday, June 21 Mushroom walk at S. B. Elliott State Park 1 pm.
- Saturday, July 19 Mushroom Walk at Reeds Gap State Park
- Friday to Sunday, August 22-24: 2014 Bill Russel Foray at Seig Center -- see details below.
- Sunday, September 21 Potluck and mushroom walk at the Union County Sportsmans Club 1 pm.
- Sunday, October 19 Mushroom walk at Fox Farm, Foxburg, PA 1 pm.
- Sunday, November 16 Mushroom walk at Black Moshannon State Park 1 pm.
* Dates and places are subject to change if mushrooms fruit in an area we'd rather visit! Be sure to check this web site a few days before our scheduled event to be sure no change has been made!
2014 Central PA Mushroom Club Annual Bill Russel Foray August 22-24
Join us at Lock Haven University's Sieg Center on beautiful Fishing Creek for mushroom collecting, presentations, and workshops. Stay in the bunkhouse or bring a tent and camp by the creek.
This event kicks off on Friday evening with registration and a potluck
supper and campfire. Saturday we look for mushrooms in the morning
and after lunch we work to identify what we have found. This is a great
opportunity to learn from our experts in an immersive yet laid-back
atmosphere. We usually have several presentations following supper
on Saturday evening and after that comes the campfire where we roast
corn in the husk and visit until bed-time (whenever that is for you) or
usually a little after. On Sunday we have a big breakfast followed by a
cooking demonstration. This is a great way to connected to the club in a
way that is really difficult to achieve in the shorter meetings and walks.
Please plan to join us in August.
More information regarding registration, cost, speakers etc. will be provided as it becomes
1494 Narrows Road, Lamar, PA (570) 726-4755
- Directions From Main Campus – Lock Haven University: North Fairview Street to Bellefonte Avenue. Bellefonte Avenue to Hogan Boulevard (Rt. 150.) Hogan Boulevard to Rt. 220 South. Rt. 220 South to I 80 West. I 80 West one exit 173 to Lamar. Turn left onto Rt. 64 approximately 3.4 miles. Turn left onto Washington Avenue (which becomes Narrows Road.) Go approximately 3.4 miles. Sign for LHU Sieg Center on right.
- Directions From State College Area: I99 North to I 80 East to Lamar Exit 173. Go right on to Rt. 64 approximately 3.4 miles. Turn left onto Washington Avenue (which becomes Narrows Road.) Go approximately 3.4 miles. Sign for LHU Sieg Center on right.
- Directions From Harrisburg Area: US 11/15 North to I 80 West to Exit 173 Lamar. Turn left onto Rt. 64 approximately 3.4 miles. Turn left onto Washington Avenue (which becomes Narrows Road.) Go approximately 3.4 miles. Sign for LHU Sieg Center on right.
Additional Event Information
- During mushrooming season, Bill Russell has a weekly free wild mushroom identification and discussion session every Monday from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Websters, 133 East Beaver Avenue, State College. Bring in your finds and meet some other local mushroom lovers while you are at it.
April 2012 Potluck & Mushroom Walk at Bald Eagle State Park (View Slideshow)
November Mushroom Walk at Black Moshannon State Park (View Slideshow)
October Mushroom Walk and Picnic at Greenwood Furnace State Park (View Slideshow)
August CPMC 3rd Annual Foray (View Slideshow)
June Mushroom Walk at Parker Dam State Park (View Slideshow)
May Mushroom Walk at Alan Seeger Natural Area (View Slideshow)
April Mushroom walk at Spring Creek and Slab Cabin Parks (View Slideshow)
Demonstration of home mushroom cultivation techniques (View Slideshow)
Tour of PSU's Mushroom Test Demonstration Facility (View Slideshow)
Tour of the Kneebone Mushroom Reference Collection at Pattee-Paterno Library (View Slideshow)
Mushroom Walk at Sunset Park Saturday, November 15. (View Sideshow)
Mushroom Walk & Potluck at Whipple Dam Sunday, October 24. (View slideshow) About 25 folks came and enjoyed good food, good company, and a mushroom walk and ID session with experts Bill Russell and Karen Croyle. Despite the dry weather, some 'shrooms were found. The pickings in some other areas of central PA have been a lot better than here. Member Chris Ciccarelli has been on a roll. Take a gander at two of his recent finds and eat your hearts out!!!